A new start in construction
Discover free construction training courses and guaranteed job opportunities in West Midlands, Gravesend, and London. Get started on your new construction career today!
Ready to start your new career in construction?
Have you been made redundant recently or found yourself out of work? Are you living in the West Midlands, Gravesend or London and ready for a new career in construction? Well, if you're looking for a job in construction, you’ve come to the right place!
FREE* construction training & job opportunities
The Skills Centre have partnered with employers across the UK to offer FREE construction training and guaranteed job opportunities for major West Midlands, Gravesend or London construction projects.
New to construction?
2-4 week training programmes built with employers to match training to local skills shortages run in each of the areas below - click to learn more:
Already have a CSCS card but out of work?
- West-Midlands Construction Bootcamp - a 10-day construction bootcamp for those with a valid CSCS card which provides learners guaranteed time on site with a local contractor, a reference for future job applications, and access to open opportunities in the region.
- Rainscreen Cladding Bootcamp London - an 8-week programme to help build specific skills needed to meet the city of London's Net Zero targets. Learn practical skills and gain valuable on-site experience to launch a career in Rainscreen Cladding.
It's free, so get involved!
It costs absolutely nothing and there are GUARANTEED job opportunities in construction with local employers when training is completed. These are great courses for anyone looking to start a new career in construction.Get in touch today!
About the training
Construction courses at The Skills Centre are very interactive. The tutors will teach through a mix of classroom discussions, case studies, teamwork and individual/group presentations, as well as site visits, work experience and, at some centres, yard-based practical training.
Some work may need to be completed outside of the classroom.
You will need to present your understanding of how to comply with current legislation for assessment and will be continuously assessed during the training course in preparation for an examination / practical assessment.
What sort of jobs might be on offer?
Our free construction courses will give you a guaranteed opportunity to interview for various job opportunities including shuttering carpenters/form workers, steel fixers, pipe layers, ground workers, Rainscreen Cladders and strikers.
In addition to the roles above, many learners have gone on to complete apprenticeships with The Skills Centre or our partners, as well as roles in Bricklaying, Site Management, Teaching, Administration, Rail Industry, Roadworks, Plant Operations, Interior Systems, Painting and Decorating, Theatre and more.
About the employers
We work with a number of employers across the UK, including:
- O'Halloran & O'Brien
- Danny Sullivan Group
- Laing O'Rourke
- Madigan Gill
- Women into Construction
- John SISK
- And more!
What will I learn on the course?
Over a course duration, you will learn about:
- Covid-19 safe working practice
- Understanding the current PPE rules
- Health and safety in construction (including hazardous substances, abrasive wheels training, asbestos awareness, CSCS training and working from heights)
- Digital skills within the construction industry.
- Manual handling and risk assessments
- Control measures
- Interview techniques and CV building
- Practical construction entry training including ground works, concrete finisher, formwork, steel fixing and construction operations.
Where and when is the training taking place?
There are several locations to choose from.
- Canada Water
- Earls Court
What qualifications will I get?
You will achieve:
- Green Labourers CSCS Card
- Level 1 Award in Health & Safety in a Construction Environment
- Construction health and safety certificates (including manual handling)
- Personal Wellbeing in Construction
- Introducing Environmental Awareness and Sustainability
What skills will I learn?
As well as qualifications you will learn vital skills that will help you land that all-important job.
We will give you pre-employment training, CV workshops and help you brush up on those interview skills.
You will also gain practical entry trade experience.
On your first day with us, you must provide a valid ID - a copy of your passport or driving licence will be sufficient.
How do I know if I’m eligible to apply for the course?
It’s open to anyone over 18, who is currently unemployed and not currently working in construction.
You must be able to read, write and understand English at a good level.
What happens next?
Next, we ask that you submit your details and a member of the team will be in touch either by telephone or email. We will then check that you are eligible to start a course with us and provide more information on start dates, location, and further details on the course itself. We will of course be available to answer any enquiries you may have too.Register your interest